Vote!

Monday, February 19, 2007

Fostering (and a project idea)

I'm intrigued by the use of fostering in this book, or sending your children away to be raised by someone else. As a new mom, initially I was shocked by this - how could anyone send their child away? As I thought about it, though, people today do a milder form of this when we send our children to daycare for the majority of the day. It's not neccessarily a bad thing, just a way for a community to balance the care of children with the other duties that we must undertake.

Since children and childbearing seem to be an important theme in MOA, I've decided to knit something for my son. I have some organic undyed cotten that I think would be appropriate for baby Arthur or any of the other babies in the book. I'm looking for a simple pattern to use, since I imagine everyday baby garments would have been simple and utilitarian, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! I recently checked out this book from the library: Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas, and I do believe there is a really cute baby kimono pattern, which would probably be great done up in cotton. I like the idea of it being a wrap around garment. I tried making a sweater for my son when he was a baby and I underestimated the size of his head and made the neck-hole too small- so disappointing...

OK, I'm off to foster my child now...KIDDING!!