Vote!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Knots that bind us together...

I am so pleased to be a part of this KAL. My name is Parisa and I am from Ireland. I had never heard of this book before a friend of mine Brooke (yes, one of the 'high priestesses') introduced it to me. I look forward to learning more about the links between the Paganism I feel is so much a part of my mother-culture and the Christian beliefs that the Irish are so famous for promoting. It is the mixing and compromising between these two things that I look forward to explore. My mother was raised Catholic, but would always telling me of the Celtic festivals and traditions and the different ways they were absorbed into the Irish Catholic tradition. Where I live in Ireland still has fairy thorns, wishing spots and oak forests filled with stories and traditions that date back to when the High King of Ireland ruled from the Hill of Tara. To learn of these things from the English percpective and to reconnect with stories I learned as a child (Arther, Guinivere and the Lady of the Lake) is exciting!

I started this project a little while before I joined the KAL, but the book had been on my mind and the more I knit it, the more I felt that it related to everything I was looking forward to discovering in this KAL. These wristwarmers are of my own pattern and show off what little celtic knotwork I am able to do :) they also include moss stitch (known as seed stitch I think in America) and for me represent maybe what a priestess might have worn (totally talking that out of thin air, nothing to back it up with)




Sorry that the pictures aren't more clear. I have started the second one and am now trying to think of a name for them. Something maybe to do with Avalon, or Tir na nOg, which is the Irish version of the same place. I also was thinking of something to do with unifying or binding together..knots, get it ;) Would love some imput and help as I haven't started reading the book yet so don't really know anything appropriate from it. Thanks everyone, looking forward to the fun to come!

6 comments:

Barb said...

Hi from Canada :) I've always LOVED anything too do with Ireland, the fingerless gloves look great :)

knitwhit said...

Very nice, Parisa! And I really like your idea of using the celtic knot.

Emily said...

Those are gorgeous! I've got no input on Celtic knots, but it sounds deliciously Avalon-ish.

Inspired Mama said...

Your description of Ireland is enticing, and your gloves are lovely!

Unknown said...

Ooooh!! pretty, pretty! Love the knotwork, my dear :)

Micah said...

Hi, Parisa,
(Beautiful name, btw!)
This may be a silly question, but is Celtic Knotwork knitting the same thing as we call "cable" knitting here in the states? I think it looks the same from the photo. I especially love the look of the dark pair. Is there a chart available for the pattern or is it your own?

Although American, I am Irish by descent and can't wait to travel there. (I'm a McConnell, middle name is Kathleen.)
Blessings,
Micah